Introducing Elevate Maine.
The Elevate Maine initiative is a partnership between the Maine Early Learning Investment Group (MELIG) and Educare Central Maine (ECM). Its objectives are to elevate early education to the highest in standards and practice, to elevate student achievement for optimal success in school and beyond and to elevate the quality of Maine’s workforce. MELIG’s has selected the Skowhegan community in Somerset County, as its first Elevate Maine partnership initiative. Please see Skowhegan Elevate Maine One pager (3) for details.
Why Elevate Maine?
In Maine, almost 50% of children enter kindergarten already behind in many of the skills necessary for success in school. Yet, research shows that a child’s first few years of life are the most critical for neurological development. Stable, nurturing relationships with caring adults promote healthy brain development. So do safe, stimulating experiences. Together, these relationships and experiences foster development of strong socio- emotional, cognitive and language skills, which are essential for success in school, work and life. Elevate Maine will ensure that all Maine children benefit from positive, consistent early relationships and experiences and become successful lifelong learners.
How Elevate Maine will work.
Elevate Maine will, through strategic partnerships, raise public awareness about the importance of early childhood development; strengthen the skills of parents; strengthen the skills of early childhood educators; and help low-income families to access high quality early care and education. Elevate Maine will function as “a partnership of partnerships”.
- Educare Central Maine will be the lead agency in the implementation of the Elevate Maine initiative for the selected communities by building on existing community-based services.
- MELIG will look to The Maine Children’s Growth Council and its members to ensure Elevate Maine connects and aligns with other state and community-based efforts underway.
- The Maine Community Foundation will host the donor advised fund and Educate Maine will serve as fiscal agent.
How Elevate Maine will be implemented.
Children’s healthy development and school readiness will require sustained investment in each of Elevate Maine’s focus areas. They will also require strong collaborations between parents and early childhood educators, and the professionals who mentor, coach and train them. Elevate Maine will use a well-tested market- driven approach combined with the latest research and evidence-based programming modeled after Educare Central Maine and other high-performing and researched services. Evidence collected in the selected community partnerships will help support the expansion of all Elevate Maine components statewide. The Elevate Maine initiative will highlight the powerful role of high quality early education in ensuring Maine’s future economic prosperity.
SIX CORE COMPONENTS OF ELEVATE MAINE
Elevate Maine investments that will be implemented statewide:
- Campaign to raise public awareness: Elevate Maine will increase public knowledge about the important relationship between high quality early learning and sustained educational and lifelong success.
- Early educator training and technical assistance: Elevate Maine will assist early childhood educators to increase the quality and effectiveness of their programs through training and technical assistance.
Elevate Maine investments that will initially be limited to designated areas:
- Parent education and mentoring: Through parent education, mentoring and visitation, Elevate Maine will increase parents’ knowledge of child developmental needs and their use of positive, effective parenting skills.
- Early educator coaching and mentoring: Elevate Maine will provide coaching and mentoring to early childhood educators to help them increase the quality and effectiveness of their programs.
- Professional development scholarships and quality improvement grants: Elevate Maine will provide scholarships to early educators to assist them with enhancing their formal education and/or credentials and provide grants to help programs improve quality.
- High quality early education scholarships for at-risk children: Elevate Maine will provide early education scholarships to at-risk children from low-income families so they can attend high quality early care and education programs.
Maine Early Learning Investment Group Current Members
President, Goold Health Systems, an Emdeon Company
President/CEO, Gorham Savings Bank
Managing Principal, Baker Newman Noyes
Educare Central Maine Board of Directors
President, Thomas College
President, Bill & Joan Alfond Foundation
Buffett Early Childhood Fund